Red-skinned sugar cane is often boiled to obtain a semi-sweet sugar cane stock. It is a delicious drink on hot, sweaty days and helps cool us down. Try this recipes and enjoy.
- 6 water chestnuts, peeled and finely shredded
- 16g agar-agar powder
- 100g cane sugar
- 1 litre prepared sugar cane stock
- Add cane sugar to the sugar cane stock in a pot and bring to a slow, simmering boil until sugar has dissolved.
- Put agar-agar powder in a small bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons water. Stir to mix until dissolved. Add agar-agar solution to the sugar cane stock. Stir to mix. Allow to simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add shredded water chestnuts into the jelly solution. Stir well. Turn off the heat and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Ladle the jelly into individual moulds. Leave aside for 10 minutes. Use a fork to stir up the water chestnut shreds so that they do not sink to the bottom. Once the jelly starts to set, leave aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Chill the jelly before removing from the moulds.