This creamy Dal Palak is a lentil stew that perfectly compliments Indian or middle-eastern rice dishes. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
Murgh Kadhai (Chicken with Tomato and Capsicum)
Baingan Masala (Brinjals cooked in Spices)
Quobuli pulao (Rice and Chickpeas Pilaf)
Pakora (Chickpea and Vegetable Fritters)
Chocolate Barfi (Chocolate Milk Dessert)
- 200 g yellow lentils
- 700 ml water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 150 g spinach (chopped)
- 3 tbsp palm oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Wash and soak lentils for 30 minutes. Drain and cook in a pot of water with turmeric and salt, until soft. Add spinach. Cook for 2 minutes more, adding hot water if required.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds, onions and garlic to hot oil in a pan and saute until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, chilli powder and cook for 2 minutes. Mix this with cooked lentils mixture. Add lemon juice, garam masala and serve.