Delicious delights don’t have to always be unhealthy. Indulge in these healthy, homemade wholemeal waffles for that extra nutritious boost.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Zucchini & Potato Frittata
- Passionfruit & Banana Granola
- Tomato & Cheese Roulade
- French Toast
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Chocolate Banana Muffin
This recipe is best with
- Flour mixture (combined)
- 300g whole wheat flour
- 30g wheatgerm
- 1tsp salt (fine)
- 2tsp instant yeast
- 1/4tsp baking soda
- Milk mixture (whisked together)
- 300ml milk
- 30ml sweetened creamer
- 2tsp vanilla extractor grated rind of 1 lemon
- 50ml melted margarine or palm cooking oil
- 4 eggs (large; beaten)
- Place flour mixture in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in milk mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into wet ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Cover bowl and leave to rise at room temperature at least 1 hour. The batter can be prepared ahead and stored overnight in the fridge; stand for 1 hour at room temperature before using.
- Preheat electric waffle maker, brushing the inside with oil. Spoon mixture into mould. Cook until brown and crisp. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve with jam, maple syrup, honey and margarine or whipped cream.
To prepare batter: (combined)
To cook: (combined)