NAAN is an Indian flat-bread traditionally baked in a clay oven. It is exceptionally versatile, however, slightly taxing to prepare and requires a specialised oven such as the tandoor oven. Alternatively, you can buy ready-made naan from the stores.
The thick and chewy bread with its signature charred and slightly crunchy spots can be savoured in many ways: Scooping, dipping, as a pizza base, buttered and grilled, toasted or even on its own.
It is also thick enough to soak up curries and perfect with meats and gravies. A little creativity takes the naan a long way.
Here are seven ways to serve the naan:
1. Prawn Tandoori with Mint and Coriander Chutney. Click here for recipe.
2. Sambal Soft Shell Crab. Click here for recipe.
3. Homemade Cured Salmon with Sour Cream. Click here for recipe.
4. Grilled Beef with Rendang Sauce. Click here for recipe.
5. Pesto Naan Pizza with Caesar Grilled Chicken Topping. Click here for recipe.
6. Dhal. Click here for recipe.
7. Hummus. Click here for recipe.
Mission Foods recently launched Mission Naan which is available in two flavours at the bread isles of all major supermarkets. Recipes and photos are courtesy of Mission Foods.