Who says home-made ice cream is difficult to make? This Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce with a biscuit base is sure to be everyone’s favourite dessert. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- [chocolate cereal base] :
- 100 g chocolate
- 100 g rice cereal
- [ice cream] :
- 100 g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 125 ml milk
- 75 g peanut butter
- 250 ml UHT whipping cream
- caramel sauce (for serving)
- [To prepare base] : In a bain-marie, melt the chocolate. Mix it with the cereal. Press lightly into 7cm-diameter ring moulds set on a tray lined with parchment paper. Set aside in the fridge.
- [To prepare ice cream] : Cream sugar and egg yolks.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Pour half the milk mixture onto the egg yolk mixture and whisk until well-combined.
- Add the rest of the mixture and cook, stirring continuously over low heat, till 83°C, and the mixture can coat the back of a spatula. Transfer immediately into a mixing bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- Whip the cream to the stiff peak stage.
- Mix milk mixture with whipped cream and pipe into 7cm half-sphere or muffin silicon moulds. Freeze till solid.
- [To finish] : Remove ice cream from moulds, and place on top of the chocolate crisp bases. Serve plain or with caramel sauce.